Ho Chi Minh City within the south of Vietnam is the nation’s financial capital and a dizzying whirlwind of exercise. Formerly referred to as Saigon, the sprawling metropolis balances Vietnamese custom with a contemporary aptitude.
Wandering the streets, you’ll discover historical pagodas combined amongst skyscrapers and high-end retailers subsequent to mouth-watering road meals stalls.
Because the town was underneath French rule for over 60 years, there’s additionally a distinctly French aptitude to the town present in its structure, streets, and even its delicacies.
But earlier than setting off to Ho Chi Minh City, there are some things you want to bear in mind. In this publish, we’ll cowl every little thing you’ll want to learn about touring to Ho Chi Minh City, together with:
- What are the prices for vacationers?
- Things to learn about tradition and etiquette
- What are the highest sights?
- How protected is it?
- Local meals and drinks
- How good is the WiFi?
- How lengthy are you able to keep?
Ready? Here are the highest 7 issues you’ll want to know earlier than visiting Ho Chi Minh City:
Did you realize… Ho Chi Minh City was previously known as Saigon, though many nonetheless discuss with it as so. The official title change got here in 1975 when the Northern Vietnamese Army gained management of the town, bringing an finish to the Vietnam War. The metropolis is known as after Ho Chi Minh, the Twentieth-century Vietnamese revolutionary who led the battle for the nation’s independence.
1) Ho Chi Minh City Affordability
The forex in Vietnam is the Vietnamese Dong or VND. The present trade price is
₫100,000 VND = $4.29 USD, and $1 USD = ₫23,338 VND.
Here are the typical prices for vacationers in USD:
There is a wide range of accommodations accessible to go well with any price range or journey type in Ho Chi Minh City.
- Average lodge worth: One evening at a 3-star lodge usually prices round $40, or round $85 for a 4-star lodge.
- Luxury 5-star motels: Luxury 4-star motels common $150 per evening, and there are many choices, particularly if you wish to splurge. For occasion, the La Vela Saigon Hotel has attractive suites beginning at $540 per evening.
- If you’re on a price range: Ho Chi Minh City is a backpacker’s paradise, with numerous choices for reasonable hostels. A mattress in a dorm at a well-rated hostel prices between $5-$7 per evening, whereas a non-public ensuite room averages about $20 per evening. Hostels usually present free breakfast and WiFi.
Not solely is the meals in Ho Chi Minh City extremely scrumptious, there are many inexpensive choices.
- A 3-course meal at a mid-range restaurant for 2 prices round $25.
- For a low-cost meal at an affordable restaurant or from a road meals vendor, count on to pay round $2.
- A beer prices between $1-$2, whereas a cappuccino is about $2.
- Public transportation in Ho Chi Minh City is dominated by an enormous bus community that may take guests to any of the highest vacationer locations. Fare is predicated on distance traveled and ranges between $0.15 – $0.50 per journey. It is extremely low-cost, however simply comprehend it may also be a painfully gradual method to get round.
- Taxi fares begin at$0.50and price an extra $1 per mile traveled. Motorbike taxis are additionally frequent and a brief journey usually prices round $1.50 for a brief journey. Ho Chi Minh City’s most popular rideshare service is known as Grab, and it really works the identical means as Uber. Rates are often cheaper than taxis.
- Traveling by cyclo can also be an choice. Cyclos are three-wheeled bike taxis which can be slow-moving and sometimes need to keep away from sure streets the place they’re prohibited. An hour-long experience usually prices round $7 – simply make sure you negotiate the value earlier than you’re taking off.
- Experienced bikers can select to cycle the town. Bike leases can be found for about $5.50 per day, simply beware that the visitors is extremely chaotic, so when you select to bike make sure you experience with warning.
2) Culture And Etiquette In Ho Chi Minh City
Vietnam’s tradition and traditions are a lot totally different than these discovered within the West. Make time to learn up on applicable etiquette earlier than taking off in your trip.
Check this listing earlier than your journey! Here are among the main Dos and Don’ts in Ho Chi Minh City.
- DO present respect at spiritual websites: When visiting temples and pagodas all guests ought to costume modestly or cowl up with a shawl. Bow your head to temples and Buddha statues to point out respect and converse solely in a whisper when inside. Never contact statues or monks, and take off your footwear if requested.
- DON’T go overboard with PDA: Try to maintain your fingers off one another when out in public, and undoubtedly don’t do any smooching inside spiritual websites.
- DO maintain valuables at dwelling: The Vietnamese persons are humble and don’t usually show massive indicators of wealth. Doing in order a vacationer could possibly be thought-about impolite.
- DON’T settle for the primary worth: At market stalls haggling over the value is predicted, simply be sure you do it with a smile.
- DO respect your elders: Show respect to anybody older than you by providing a greeting or a bow.
- DO ask first: If you need to take a photograph of somebody at all times ask permission first. Additionally, keep away from taking images in army areas because it might land you in jail.
3) Top Attractions in Ho Chi Minh City
Ho Chi Minh City is stuffed with unbelievable locations to discover. Here are a number of of the highest issues to see and do whereas visiting:
- Cu Chi Tunnels – An in depth community of small tunnels that have been dug and used in the course of the Vietnam War by Viet Cong troopers. Visitors can take a guided tour and crawl by way of sure sections of the tunnels.
- Ben Thanh Market- Vietnam’s largest market with over 1,500 merchants. You’ll discover loads of retail, souvenirs, handmade objects, and scrumptious meals at this expansive market.
- War Remnants Museum – With over 20,000 paperwork, artifacts, and movies, the War Remnants Museum educates guests on the native perspective of the Vietnam War and the lasting results it has had on the nation.
4) How Safe Is It For Tourists?
As with many Asian cities, Ho Chi Minh City could be very protected for vacationers. However, there are nonetheless some issues that vacationers ought to consider to remain protected throughout their go to:
- Beware of thieves: Bag snatching and petty crime is quite common, so make sure you take further warning in busy areas or vacationer spots. Don’t stroll along with your telephone in your hand, and by no means depart baggage unattended.
- Know tips on how to name for assist: If you or somebody you might be with want emergency help name 113.
- Be cautious crossing the road: To say the streets in Ho Chi Minh are chaotic is an understatement, and crossing the street, specifically, is usually a very demanding occasion. The finest technique is to attend for a break within the visitors after which cross confidently at a constant tempo.
- DO get journey insurance coverage: Travel insurance may also help in well being emergencies in addition to with masking the prices of any journey mishaps throughout your Ho Chi Minh City journey. For 5 nice choices, read more here.
5) Local Eats And Drinks
One of the perfect elements of journey is testing the native delicacies, and Ho Chi Minh City is a improbable place to attempt new meals. Don’t let your self depart with out making an attempt a minimum of one of many following:
- Snails – Boiled, steamed, grilled, or sauteed snails are a well-liked road meals, particularly when eaten with a chilly beer.
- Banh mi – a sandwich that may be made with quite a lot of meats (or tofu), contemporary herbs, pickled greens, pate, and a chili sauce stuffed inside in a crunchy baguette
- Com Tam – marinated and slow-grilled pork ribs served with damaged rice, egg, greens, and scallion oil, usually drenched in fish sauce.
- Vietnamese Coffee – Coffee tradition in Vietnam is robust and it’s offered all over the place, usually served over ice and sweetened with condensed milk.
- Sugarcane juice – Fresh stalks of sugarcane are juiced between two rollers producing a candy refreshing beverage.
- Beer – Popular brews embody Saigon and 333. Local craft beers together with Heart of Darkness and Platinum are gaining recognition
6) How’s the WiFi?
Using Ookla, an web pace testing service, the typical web speeds in Ho Chi Minh City for March 2023 have been 42.15mbps obtain and 20.50mbps add.
7) How Long Can I Stay?
U.S. Citizens should receive a vacationer visa to visit Vietnam. Applications for e-visas will be accomplished on-line and are legitimate for a most of 30 days and value $25. Alternatively, guests can receive a visa on arrival on the airport if it has been pre-arranged, or from an embassy. These visas will be legitimate for as much as 3 months. All passports should have a minimum of 6 months of validity and one clean web page.
Traveler Alert: Don’t Forget Travel Insurance For Your Next Trip!
↓ Join Our Community ↓
The Travel Off Path Community FB group has all the newest reopening information, conversations, and Q&A’s occurring every day!
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR LATEST POSTS
Enter your electronic mail deal with to subscribe to Travel Off Path’s newest breaking journey information, straight to your inbox.
This article initially appeared on TravelOffPath.com